The Supreme Court won’t review the sexual assault case against Bill Cosby, leaving a decision by Pennsylvania’s highest court that overturned the comedian’s 2018 indecent assault conviction and freed him from prison in june.
On Monday, the Supreme Court rejected a request by prosecutors to hear the case and return the guilty verdict.
Andrew White, a spokesman for Bill Cosby, called the decision a “victory.”
“On behalf of Mr. and Mrs. Cosby and the Cosby family, we would like to express our sincere gratitude to the justices of the United States Supreme Court for following the rules of law and protecting the constitutional rights of all American citizens in the United States,” he said.
“This is truly a victory for Mr. Cosby, but it shows that cheating won’t get you very far in life, and the corruption that lurks in the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office has been brought to center stage in the world. Thank you very much,” he continued.
Cosby was convicted on three criminal counts of aggravated indecent assault in 2018 with drugging and assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004.
He had served nearly three years of a prison sentence ranging from three to ten years when he delivered his conviction for violating His due process rights. The former Montgomery County District Attorney said he would not prosecute Cosby in 2005 in exchange for his testimony. However, this testimony was later used against him at trial.
The Cosby trialnow 84, was one of the first major landmarks in The #MeToo . movementWomen have made allegations of unwanted sexual harassment and harassment in the workplace, especially against powerful men.
When Cosby was released from prison, he tweeted a statement confirming his innocence.
I have not changed my position nor my story. I have always maintained my innocence. Thank you to all my fans, supporters and friends who have stood by me during this ordeal. Special thanks to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for its support of the rule of law,” he said at the time.
“This is an unfortunate outcome for all, especially sexual assault survivors,” Constand’s attorneys, Dolores M. Trawani and Baby H. Kevitz, said in a statement.
“Not only is the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s decision to obligate other courts based on an early attorney general press release declaring a refusal to prosecute at the time (before the evidence is developed and examined), but presumes valid evidence of the agreement not to prosecute, which was the subject of Strong dispute in the habeas corpus proceedings, and the trial judge decided not to exist.”
Gloria Allred, who represented 33 of Cosby’s accusers, said in a statement that she was “not surprised” by the Supreme Court’s decision.
“While many defendants will undoubtedly be disappointed that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling will remain in effect and Cosby will not be returned to prison in this case, they should also know that Mr. Cosby may still face other consequences in the justice system,” the attorney said, Noting that the civil trial against Cosby is scheduled to begin in May in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
This case stems from a lawsuit brought by Judy Huthwho accused Cosby of sexually assaulting her at the Playboy mansion when she was 15 in 1974. Cosby’s lawyers previously responded to the suit as trying to blackmail him.
“Although Mr. Cosby will not testify in our civil trial, our case will continue and our brave client and other witnesses will testify,” Allred said. “We look forward to our client finally having her day in court and having all of her rights granted in a California court of law. The journey to justice continues.”
“Today’s ruling says more about our legal system’s absolute inability to deliver justice to victims than it does about Bill Cosby, who was not and will never be acquitted,” Lisa Bloom, attorney for three of Cosby’s accusers, said in a statement.
“He was released simply because the friendly attorney general didn’t have the courage that Cosby’s victims had, to sue him years ago,” Bloom continued. “The decisions of the courts to keep this promise in no way negate the agonizing truth of the stories of many of his accusers, which will always be his ugly legacy.”
Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin R. Steele, on Monday, said his decision to appeal was “the right thing to do, but there was clearly only a small chance that the Supreme Court would be able to take the case.” We appreciate the court’s consideration.“
“My appreciation is also for Andrea Constand,” Steele said. “All victims of crimes deserve to be heard, treated with respect and supported during their day in court. I wish her all the best as she moves forward with her life.”
I am an expert writer of both fiction and non-fiction and learning strategies for arts and crafts. I have over two years of experience working as an editor, writer, and project manager in online article publications. I am enthusiastic about my work and experience in my field.