The Staircase Release Date: Michael Peterson’s case will be broadcast on television.
The Staircase is a limited series starring Colin Firth and Toni Collette.
The death of Peterson’s wife Kathleen in 2001 sparked headlines and a documentary, also titled The Staircase, but the tragedy is now being retold as a narrative.
The Staircase Joins a Long List
- Of true-crime and scammer-themed shows that have recently been shown on television.
- Pam & Tommy, Inventing Anna, The Thing About Pam, and other films are among them.
- This may be one of the most star-studded true crime shows we’ve seen in a long time, with an Oscar winner, an Emmy winner, a Game of Thrones alum, and more.
- Everything you need to know about The Staircase is right here.
When Does the Staircase Come Out?
- The Staircase will premiere on HBO Max on Thursday, May 5, in the United States and other countries where the streaming service is available.
- Starting May 5, UK audiences may watch The Staircase on Sky TV and the NOW streaming service.
- According to HBO Max, the first three episodes of The Staircase will be available on the streaming service on May 5, followed by one episode every week until June 9.
What Is the Plot of the Staircase?
The official synopsis for HBO Max’s The Staircase is as follows:
“The Staircase is a film based on a true story about Michael Peterson.
- Kathleen Peterson’s death was strange, as was his huge North Carolina family.”
- SPOILER ALERT if you want to learn more about the trial from The Staircase, we’re going to delve into some of the details.
- Kathleen Peterson, who was found dead in a pool of blood at the bottom of the staircase of the family’s Durham, N.C. mansion in December 2001, is depicted in the show.
Following that, Michael Peterson was named as the prime suspect in her death. In 2003, Peterson was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison after a three-month trial. That was not, however, the end of the narrative.
Peterson Has Maintained His Innocence Through Many Appeals
Thanks to a documentary created by a French film crew.
- The issue remained in the public limelight, and speculations regarding Kathleen Peterson’s death began to emerge.
- When it was discovered that a major witness for the prosecution had lied under oath, a fresh trial was ordered.
- After serving 89 months in prison, Michael Peterson was able to walk out in 2017 after agreeing to a plea deal.
- That allowed him to maintain his innocence while acknowledging that the prosecutors have sufficient evidence to indict him, with the formal verdict declaring him guilty (an Alford plea).
That sounds like there will be a lot of twists and turns for viewers as they try to figure out what happened to Kathleen Peterson.
Collette Is Also a Seasoned Performer
She was nominated for an Academy Award for The Sixth Sense and won an Emmy for the United States of Tara.
- Hereditary, Nightmare Alley, and the new Netflix series Pieces of Her are among her other credits.
- The supporting ensemble is as terrific, with Michael Stuhlbarg (Dopesick) and Sophie Turner leading the way (Game of Thrones).
Lisey’s Story’s Dane DeHaan, The English Patient’s Juliette Binoche, Little Fires Everywhere’s Rosemarie DeWitt, Lost in Space’s Parker Posey, and more.
The True Meaning of ‘the Staircase’
Real Story is a weekly piece that explores the genuine stories behind films and television series. That’s all there is to it.
- The true tale of the Michael Peterson murder trial, as represented in The Staircase, is the focus of this part.
- The Staircase, an HBO Max drama miniseries, is based on a French documentary series of the same name (later expanded by Netflix).
- Jean-Xavier de Lestrade directed the film. Both pieces are based on novelist Michael Peterson’s genuine story (now played by Colin Firth in the dramatic version).
- In 2003, he was found guilty of the murder of his wife, Kathleen (played by Toni Collette).
- Durham, North Carolina, two years prior. Michael was released in 2017 after a retrial.
- The story has piqued the interest of true crime fans in the decades since it was first reported.
The Peterson case is “one of the most prominent and longest-running criminal cases in Triangle history,” according to one local news station in North Carolina.
The Peterson Family Were Described in a 2010 NBC News
The events of December 8, 2001, in the Peterson family were described in a 2010 NBC News report titled “Death at the Bottom of the Stairs.”
- They went Christmas shopping all day.
- They popped open a few bottles of wine, ate dinner together, watched TV, and rejoiced over some excellent news:
- Michael’s work was beginning to pique Hollywood’s attention in adapting it for the big screen.
Michael Peterson Has Been Caught in the Act of Lying
Let’s get this party started. Michael Petersen and Kathleen Atwater, according to NBC News, moved in together in 1987.
- Michael had divorced his first wife, and he had adopted two girls from a family friend who had died years before.
- Kathleen’s daughter, Caitlin, had a lot of playdates with the girls (played by Olivia DeJonge).
- Everything looked to be for a time. Kathleen worked for Nortel as a high-paid telecom executive.
- Michael became a successful novelist after channeling his experiences in the Vietnam War into his work.
He also became interested in local politics and wrote a weekly column.
The Pair Married Five Years After Purchasing a Magnificent Home Together in 1992
They would sometimes quarrel. Caitlin recalls “some great screamers” between the two, according to NBC News. The conflict, on the other hand, would normally be resolved in about 20 minutes.
- Michael ran for mayor of Durham in 1999 and was caught in an embarrassing falsehood.
- He claimed a Silver Star and a Bronze Star during the election.
- During his time in Vietnam, he was awarded the Medal of Honor. He didn’t have the paperwork to back it up, though.
- Michael also stated that he had two Purple Hearts on his person. He was “struck by shrapnel when a soldier walked on a landmine,” he added, according to Yahoo! News.
- However, he was later exposed for lying. The injuries, it turns out, occurred during a car accident while he was stationed in Japan following the war, not during combat.
In the next years, such deceptions would resurface.
For more information please visit us: Overtells
An author with years experience in publishing articles related to celebrity net worth and big banner films and tv series. I have published many articles on gadgets, error codes, tech information, and games. Upcoming films, cast, tv serials latest celebrities are my focus categories. Providing more and more information is the main focus. Refer to the website Overtells for more…